Metal Roof Information
As a homeowner, there are many choices you can make to improve the value and energy efficiency of your home. Insulation, windows, doors, and roofing materials all make significant contributions to curb appeal and efficiency when properly selected for the region you live in. However, a metal roof can not only improve the look and efficiency of your home, it can also increase the longevity of your home while reducing yearly maintenance.
To learn more about how a metal roof can benefit you as well as the options that are available when choosing metal roofing, read more below. You can also contact the expert metal roofing contractors at Carefree Metal Roofing in Portland, ME and the surrounding areas including southern and central Maine to learn more about metal roofing and to request an estimate for metal roof installation.
Types of Metal Roof Materials
A metal roof is typically made from one of a select few types of metal. These metals are used because of their low weight, durability, resistance to corrosion and the elements, and overall beauty. Each has different properties, but all provide the same basic value to your home.
- Steel: Steel is one of the most common metals used for metal roof construction today because of its high strength-to-weight ratio. Steel can still be strong even when very thin and light which makes it ideal as a metal roof. Steel is one of the cheapest metals you can buy for roofing, and most metal roofers are familiar with installing it. Because steel is not naturally corrosion resistant, it has to be coated or galvanized to increase its durability. Different coatings have different longevities, and could be affected by various conditions such as salt spray. Therefore, it is important to check with qualified metal roof contractors to see what is best in your area.
- Aluminum: Aluminum is very lightweight, very durable, and not susceptible to corrosion, making it a solid choice for metal roofing. However, it is usually more expensive than steel. Typically, aluminum does not require coating as it will not corrode or rust, but is often painted for improved appearance.
- Copper: Copper is one of the most iconic metal roof materials. When properly installed, it is a permanent roof that can last centuries - just look at famous churches in the US and Europe for proof. Copper is significantly more expensive than other options, so it is much less frequently used, but because of its durability and low weight, homeowners often recoup the cost in added home value.
Metal Roof Benefits
Despite the materials used, metal roofs all offer similar benefits to a homeowner. These include:
- Energy Efficiency: Metal is naturally good at reflecting heat in the summer and storing heat in the winter, making it more efficient. Additionally, because metal roofing panels are more solid than shingles there is less space for air to travel between your home and the outside.
- Maintenance: Metal that is properly coated and installed for your region will be almost maintenance free. It can easily be cleaned with water and typically does not require repainting thanks to durable coatings.
- Reliability: Because metal is lighter yet more durable than most roofing materials, a metal roof is better in areas where snow can pile on a house and add weight as there is less danger of roof collapse.
Contact Us Today for Your Metal Roof Needs!
If you have questions about metal roofing and the benefits offered or you would like to have a metal roof installed on your home, contact the metal roofing contractors at Carefree Metal Roofing today! As experts serving the Portland, ME area as well as all of central and southern Maine with reliable metal roof installation and repair services, we can answer all of your questions about metal roofing.